- teaching methods:
- lecture with tutorials
- computer based presentation
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Nils C. Gerhardt
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Nils C. Gerhardt (ETIT)
- offered in:
- winter term
dates in winter term
- start: Wednesday the 28.10.2020
- lecture Wednesdays: from 10:15 to 12.00 o'clock in Online
- tutorial Thursdays: from 14:15 to 16.00 o'clock in Online
Die Angaben zu den Prüfungsmodalitäten (im WiSe 2020/2021 | SoSe 2021) erfolgen vorbehaltlich der aktuellen Situation. Notwendige Änderungen aufgrund universitärer Vorgaben werden zeitnah bekanntgegeben.
Date according to prior agreement with lecturer.
|Form of exam:||oral|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
Learn the functional principle of optoelectronic devices. Accumulate knowledge of the basic physics and on the function of the most important devices (solar cell, photodiode, light emitting diode, semiconductor laser).
At first, the basic principles of semiconductors (lattice structure, band structure, doping) are introduced. In the second chapter, the elementary interactions between light and semiconductors are addressed. The third chapter contains the p-n-junction and hetero junctions. Then, the most important devices: solar cells, photodiodes, light emitting diodes, and semiconductor lasers are discussed in separate chapters. New devices like modulators and optical switches are referred to in the second last chapter and the last chapter consists of an overview about organic optoelectronics.
- Basic knowledge of engineering, physics and mathematics
- Quantum mechanics
- Sze, Simon M. "Physics of Semiconductor Devices", Wiley & Sons, 1981
- Bhattacharya, Pallab "Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices", Prentice Hall, 1996