course: Fiber Optics
- teaching methods:
- lecture with tutorials
- responsible person:
- Priv.-Doz. Dr.-Ing. Cemal Esen
- Dr.-Ing. Thomas Weigel (Maschinenbau)
- offered in:
- winter term
dates in winter term
- lecture with integrated tutorials Mondays: from 14:00 to 17.00 o'clock in ID 05/158
All statements pertaining to examination modalities (for the summer/winter term of 2020) are given with reservations. Changes due to new requirements from the university will be announced as soon as possible.
Date according to prior agreement with lecturer.
|Form of exam:||oral|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
The students will be acquiring advanced knowledge on properties, preparation, and applications of optical fibers.
First of all an introduction in the basics of optics is given. The properties, preparation methods and components for fiber coupling are discussed in own chapters. In following chapters the application of optical fibers in optical communication, as sensing devices and as fiber lasers are discussed. The last chapter contains an introduction in photonic crystal fibers.
basic knowledge in engineering, physics and mathematics
- Mitschke, Fedor "Fiber Optics: Physics and Technology", None, 2009
- Bures, Jacques "Guided Optics", Wiley-VCH, 2008