course: Fundamentals of Automatic Speech Recognition
- teaching methods:
- lecture with integrated lab excercises
- overhead transparencies
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dorothea Kolossa
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dorothea Kolossa (ETIT)
- offered in:
- summer term
dates in summer term
- start: Tuesday the 21.04.2020 from 14:00
- lecture: siehe "Sonstiges"
- tutorial: siehe "Sonstiges"
All statements pertaining to examination modalities (for the summer/winter term of 2020) are given with reservations. Changes due to new requirements from the university will be announced as soon as possible.
|Form of exam:||written|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
|Rooms :||ID 04/471, ID 04/459|
|Individual appointments of students to each exam location will be issued by the responsible chair.|
The participants understand the theoretical foundations and practical realization concerns of automatic speech recognition systems. They can implement the core algorithms of automatic speech recognition and they understand the principle of operation of state-of-the art small- and large-vocabulary recognizers.
The lecture teaches foundations and application of machine speech recognition in that form, in which they are being used in current systems for continuous speech recognition. The following topics are addressed
- Foundations: Phonetics, Speech Perception
- Deep neural networks and statistical methods for classification and posterior probability estimation
- Feature extraction in the time, frequency and cepstrum domain
- Speech Recognition using Hidden Markov Models
Simultaneously, in practical excercises, a connected-word recognizer is implemented in Python in small teams of 2-3 students.
- Basic knowledge of digital signal processing
- Basic programming knowledge
Due to the currently implemented emergency regulations at the RUB for the summer term 2020, this course will be offered as an online class. Therefore, all lectures and exercises are carried out with the help of video conferences or self-learning tutorials. The details will be presented in the first video lecture, which will be available in Moodle from 2 p.m. Tuesday, April 21, 2020. Any questions in this respect will be answered in the discussion forum of the course in Moodle and/or in the first digital office hour on Wednesday, April 22, 9:30-11:00 via zoom.
Registration for the course in advance is mandatory!
Please send an email until April 20, 2020, 11:59 p.m. using your RUB email address with the subject “Anmeldung Kurs 141044 SoSe2020” to benedikt.boenninghoff [at] rub. de and christopher. Schymura[at].rub. de. All further information, in particular the password to the Moodle course, the use of the video conference system and details to the exercises, will be sent to the participants by email.
(Digital) office hours in the semester:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dorothea Kolossa Wednesdays 9:30 a.m.- 11:00 a.m.
- Exercise Q&A 1: Thursdays, 10: 00-11: 00 a.m.
- Exercise Q&A 2: Fridays, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.