course: Master Project Optics Fundamentals
- teaching methods:
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr. Martin R. Hofmann
- Prof. Dr. Martin R. Hofmann (ETIT)
- offered in:
- winter term and summer term
dates in winter term
- kick-off meeting: Friday the 13.11.2020 from 10:00 in Online
- lab Fridays: from 09:00 to 12.00 o'clock in Online
dates in summer term
- kick-off meeting:
- lab Wednesdays: from 13:00 to 16.00 o'clock
Die Angaben zu den Prüfungsmodalitäten (im WiSe 2020/2021 | SoSe 2021) erfolgen vorbehaltlich der aktuellen Situation. Notwendige Änderungen aufgrund universitärer Vorgaben werden zeitnah bekanntgegeben.
|Form of exam:||project|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
After the project the students understand
- the basic requirements for work in an optical laboratory
- basic Matlab commands for data analysis (esp. interpolation and Fourier transform)
Furthermore the students are able to apply
- the gained knowledge of optical experiments concerning the handling and alignment of optics
- simple data analysis tasks using Matlab
The students receive information material about the fundamental work flow in optical laboratories and data analysis in Matlab. In three experiments the gained knowledge of the students is tested and futhermore applied to two optical setups and some data.
The practical experiments are the alignment of a single mode fiber coupling setup and a Michelson interferometer. In the Matlab experiment data interpolation and Fourier transform are in the focus of the exercise.
- Further contents are:
- Cleaning and Handling of optical components
- Optic alignment workflow
- Optomechanical components
- Basic characteristics of lenses and other optics
- Coherence and interferference
Participation in the Optics Fundamentals project is mandatory for advanced projects (modern optics, semiconductor optics).
The courses in summer 2021 will be offered digitally. All material will be distributed via moodle (moodle.ruhr-uni-bochum.de), interactive sessions will be offered via Zoom. To participate:
Please search the course Master Project Fundamentals (Summer21) in moodle and use the function 'Course enrol confirmation' to ask for enrolment. A RUB-email address is required to confirm the enrolment. Enrolment with other email addresses will only be possible until enrolment at the RUB is completed. In that case, please provide full contact information and your desired master course (LAP, ETIT ...) in the comment field for enrolment.
Deadline for enrolment is 30th April 2021.