course: Authenticated Key Agreement: Formal Models and Applications
- teaching methods:
- lecture with tutorials
- computer based presentation, black board and chalk
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Schwenk
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Schwenk (ETIT), M. Sc. Sebastian Lauer (ETIT), M. Sc. Paul Rösler (ETIT)
- offered in:
- summer term
dates in summer term
- start: Tuesday the 21.04.2020
- lecture Tuesdays: from 12:15 to 13.45 o'clock
- tutorial Tuesdays: from 14:00 to 15.45 o'clock
All statements pertaining to examination modalities (for the summer/winter term of 2020) are given with reservations. Changes due to new requirements from the university will be announced as soon as possible.
|Form of exam:||written|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
|Rooms :||HID , HZO 70|
|Individual appointments of students to each exam location will be issued by the responsible chair.|
The students understand the peculiarity of cryptographic protocols, where the focus is no longer on one algorithm but on the interaction among different instances. They know the most important concepts regarding the provable security of protocols. The most important building blocks of cryptographic protocols are dealt with, so that students are able to enter directly into the scientific literature on this topic.
This lecture provides an introduction to the field of cryptographic protocols, covering the techniques and methodologies of cryptography in the communication among multiple instances. Here, importance is attached both to the formal descriptions of protocols as well as their analysis regarding security. The lecture covers the following topics:
- Cryptographic basics (short repetition of probability theory, information theory, etc.)
- Provable security
- Analysis of key exchange protocols with a focus on real-world examples (such as TLS or SSH)
The curriculum is not fixed and can be changed after consultation with the students.
- basic knowledge in cryptography
- Advice: work through the Cryptography script by Prof. Alexander May
SUMMER TERM 2020
The entire Lecture will be given via the Moodle-Course (https://moodle.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/m/course/view.php?id=27196) in summer 2020.
- Related Literature:
- "Moderne Verfahren der Kryptographie" by Beutelspacher, Schwenk, and Wolfenstetter
- "Protocols for Authentication and Key Establishment" by Boyd and Mathuria
- A Standard-Model Security Analysis of TLS by Jager, Kohlar, Schäge, and Schwenk
- Cryptologic Protocol Theory by Ivan Damgård and Jesper Buus Nielsen