course: Introduction to Cryptography I
- teaching methods:
- lecture with tutorials
- Moodle, black board and chalk
- responsible person:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christof Paar
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christof Paar (ETIT), M. Sc. Maik Ender (ETIT), B. Sc. Julian Speith (ETIT)
- offered in:
- winter term
dates in winter term
- start: Thursday the 10.10.2019
- lecture Thursdays: from 12:15 to 13.45 o'clock in HID
- tutorial Mondays: from 12:15 to 13.00 o'clock in HZO 30
- tutorial (alternativ) Thursdays: from 14:15 to 15.00 o'clock in ID 04/445
- tutorial (alternativ) Thursdays: from 14:15 to 15.00 o'clock in ID 04/471
- tutorial (alternativ) Thursdays: from 15:15 to 16.00 o'clock in ID 03/455
- tutorial (alternativ) Thursdays: from 16:15 to 17.00 o'clock in ID 04/401
- tutorial (alternativ) Thursdays: from 16:15 to 17.00 o'clock in ID 04/445
- tutorial (alternativ) Fridays: from 14:15 to 15.00 o'clock in ID 03/463
The students understand essential symmetric encryption systems in practice and the basics of asymmetric cryptography. Furthermore, the students familiarize themselves with the ways of thinking in modern cryptography.
In the beginning, the fundamental concepts of cryptography and information security are introduced, as well as some historical ciphers. Next, stream ciphers are introduced. The main part of the lecture concerns block ciphers and their applications. As important examples of symmetric cryptographic systems, the Data Encryption Standard (DES) and Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) are introduced. As the last part of the lecture, the principles of asymmetric cryptography are introduced, in particular the widely-used RSA cryptosystem.
In addition to cryptographic algorithms, the mathematical concepts that are needed for the algorithms are introduced, e.g., modular arithmetic, the Euclidian algorithm and finite fields.
Capacity for abstract and logical thought.
- Paar, Christof, Pelzl, Jan "Understanding Cryptography: A Textbook for Students and Practitioners", Springer, 2009
Videomitschnitte unter www.crypto-textbook.com